On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Here we go again.

Well we made it home and enjoyed our few hours home... well I am not sure if he enjoyed it as much as I did. But we are back to do another round of Methotrexate. I have been so worried about his weight and the lack of food going into him, that after we were putting him into the car to come up, he started to black out and fell, I talked to him about putting a feeding tube in, which he agreed. When we made it here and a couple of the nurses saw him could tell that he is not feeling well (He couldn't even stand on the scales because he was so weak) mentioned that we needed to talk about getting some nutrients in him. I said that I was going to talk to them about that. When they got him in bed and weighed him from the bed and calculated how much he weighed, the water works started again. He has lost 50 pounds! So after I pulled myself together we talked about what needed to be done to get some nutrients into him. They were unable to get a feeding tube into him manually, so they are going to use a Xray device to do it. He is sleeping right now and receiving IV fluids for now. I am not sure if they will actually start the methotrexate tonight, until they can get him feeling a little stronger. But I will keep you up on the latest as we go.

I will tell you a funny story about what happened last night... just so that I can keep the waterworks from coming... :)
Yesterday Daryl came over to keep an eye on Eric while I attempted to catch up on some work for the theater and keeping to the quality supervision that Daryl does, he went to sleep along with Eric. I had to run down stairs to get something out of the storage room for dinner and Daryl was snoring pretty loud. But where Eric was fast asleep, I thought all was well. It didn't take long and Daryl was upstairs. Apparently he did wake Eric up and in Eric's weaken state was unable to reach Daryl a few feet from him to nudge him to stop snoring. So being creative like Eric was, or desperate, you choose, Eric grabbed a "Gogurt" (a yogurt in a plastic tube for those who are unfamiliar with them) and poked him in the nose to tell Daryl he was snoring. McKell liked this technique and thought about trying this at home. :) But needless to say it worked and peace was restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment