On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Making Progress

Yesterday was an okay day, we both got a little annoyed with the physical therapist, because I don't think she really knew or cared what she needed to do (she was pretty young). She brought crutches into Eric the day after surgery that would fit a kid about 5 foot tall and wanted Eric to go for a walk. Well with the Epidural that has his whole lower half numb, that was not going to happen and it goes from there.... Our favorite, Danata from Italy is not here. Dang it! But we did survive.
This morning, Dr Price came and slipped off his cast, so we saw the stitches for the first time. Now I am usually a wimp when it comes to stuff like this, but I have been trying to get in the right frame of mind for this time, because I did not want to pass out. When Dr. Price did get the cast and bandages off, Eric asked me if I was going to be okay and told me to sit down. Dr Price got this panic look on his face and said "Yeah we don't need you passing out of us." So I am quite proud of myself and I did pretty good. His leg does look like it is healing. Dr Price also said that in surgery they don't even use the skin next to the tumor, they don't even want to see the tumor at all, until it is far away from Eric. We should have the pathology reports sometime next week. Dr Randal also came in and talked to Eric. The plan today is they are going to take the epidural out and switch him to oral pain meds. Eric took a pic of his leg so he could see it and send a pic to a few of his friends and Daryl. I don't want to freak anyone out, so I won't post it. :)

Tonya called yesterday and told me of a story where a girl lost her life to bone cancer because the docs did not know what they were looking at and when they figured it out, it was too late. I can not express my gratitude enough for the quick diagnose and referral to get on top of this deadly disease. It has taken many lives. My heart goes out to any family living with cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment