On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ready to start another round of Methotrexarate

We are here ready to start another round of methotrexate at PMC. Before we came to the hospital we had an appointment with Fit well. They put his socket on his leg to begin the fitting. He was feeling very violated again, because they start with the socket really really high on his thigh. They will cut it back a little, but it is a start. He will probably be walking on his new leg next week. He may not be in a position to take his leg with him next week. But he will be walking on both legs again next Tuesday!!
As we were getting settled at the hospital Christine the Nurse practictoner came in and went through her list of questions about drugs, symptoms etc etc etc. She asked if there were any questions. So I had to pose the latest "Eric" question. Last week Eric called and asked me what his blood count was. I thought this was odd, because he was going into a party, so I assumed that maybe he did not feel comfortable going and needed an excuse. But I did not know what the blood results were at that point. Later I found out that he wanted to know if they were good enough to make out with a girl.... So I asked Christine what his ANC needed to be before he could consider "Making out" with a girl. I said that my guess was 7000 to 8000. Now keep in mind that a normal healthy persons ANC is 3000 to 5000. Christine said "well I don't think it can go that high..." I said that is okay we can do a blood work up on the girl and if it is not 7K to 8K then there will be no making out. Christine and the RN, Aubri was laughing pretty hard and suggested that maybe we keep a "Swab" handy then we can do a culture to make sure that she is healthy. Apparently it is the laugh of the day, because we have had a couple of nurses come in and put their 2 cents in. Jarid said that it doesn't matter what his ANC is, because it is about his "Game." Another nurse said that as long as he sanitizes his hands he should be okay... I think I will wait for Doctor Sprakers opinion. :) I will keep you updated on the new guidelines for "making out" according to Dr. Spraker.

2 comments:

  1. LOL. That was so much fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious.....if I were you I'd get as much professional advice possible on that one.....all teenage boys could use some!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete