On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Very Grateful

This weekend I have been thinking about how grateful I/we are for all the amazing blessings that we have been given.  If you will allow me to a moment....
Yesterday, Eric and I had such a fun day.  He chauffeured me around as I ran errands, not only for the theater, but for our home.  This was the first time he has been behind the wheel in 5 months... Yes I Know I should have warned you all to be extra careful because there was another teenage driver back on the road.  But it was good to see him not only doing "normal" teenage things, but to be so strong physically.  The past couple of months it would have been unheard of for him to watch a movie late Friday night and have the energy to be out and about all day Saturday.  (He was a trooper and watched a chick flick with me and Todd)  So then Eric and I had to get an action flick in, so we watched Thor in 3D yesterday.  I have to admit that Thor is better in 3D than 2D.  Unless I was too tired to appreciate the 2D version when we first watched it.  We watched it the night we came home from the hospital, after surgery.
Today at church the speakers spoke about being grateful.  And I am truly grateful for so many things.  This ugly thing called Cancer has taught our family many things about life, family, friends and the love from total strangers.  People have been a little sceptical how Eric is really handling not only the cancer treatments, but also losing his leg.  Until they get around him.  They understand quickly that he truly is handling it well.  His attitude is to move forward.  Not feel sorry for himself.  He has an amazing life ahead of him, just as normal as any one around us.  The difference is that he has learned at an early age that Life is VERY fragile and he has felt so much love not only from his family and friends, but also an overwhelming love from our Heavenly Father. 
There are so many twists and turns in this cancer process that he could be so much worse, but we have been blessed to see the progression of healing, strength and health.  The compassion that we have felt for those who have struggled far worse things, breaks our hearts.  Eric has mentioned that he feels so sorry for those young kids that have to go through Chemotherapy, not understanding why they have to be so sick.  That at least he understands why, and he also understands where he is in this process and knows that there is an end.  Eric's "end" is not very far away. 
I am Truly, Truly grateful for all your prayers and concerns.  I have felt your strength at times when I did not know if I could find my own strength.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment