On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

What a difference

I am shocked at what a difference this treatment has been compared to the others. He is receiving the same drugs and the same strength. Yesterday he shocked not only me and his nurses, but also the doctor. He was awake and EATING!! He ate more yesterday than he has all of his treatments combined. I asked him the other day if it felt good to have the tumor gone and he said "I feel so much better." I asked "is it more mentally or physically?" He said it was physically, but I can't help but think that it also plays on him mentally. The Cisplatin is done for this round, now we are waiting for the doxirubican to finish dripping. They have increased the drip flow so he will be done with this treatment at 8:00pm and said that if he felt up to it that we could go home tonight! I am totally leaving it up to Eric.
Coach DeGraffenried called yesterday and asked if we could make it to the SHHS softball game today that has been dedicated to Eric. I can never express enough how humbling it is for all the support from everyone. If there is a picture taken today, could someone please email it to me? Thank you all! You guys are the inspiration! And Good luck SHHS softball team!

No comments:

Post a Comment