On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eric is feeling pretty good with this treatment. He called me yesterday afternoon, while I was in a meeting and said that he was in the mood for a Hires Big H hamburger. So on the way back to the hospital I stopped by and grabbed his hamburger. We love Hires, thanks to Todd that got us hooked on them. Tuesday night he had a foot long subway sandwich, he ate about 1/4 of the sandwich, threw up and said, this is why I wanted a foot long and proceeded to finish the sandwich.... I guess as long as the nausea does not deter him from eating. The hamburger went down and tasted really good to hiim so it was a great night. He was awake for most of the evening, so I was able to harass him for a while.

Tuesday night Eric did have a reaction to one of the anti nausea medicines they gave him. Nothing bad, but he was just really restless, like restless leg syndrome, only all over. So we did elimate that drug from his rotation. He was a little nervous that he would be sick, but did really well with just the 2 other anti nausea drugs.

I laugh at some of the nurses that are so excited to be Eric's nurse, they probably say that to all the kids, then this morning another nurse was upset because he has not had Eric for along time. He asked if we just don't want him. I laughed and told him that it was a conspiracy to give him all the kids that consume a lot of time, compared to Eric that is pretty easy....I guess he is easy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment