On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Birthday!!

My Baby is now 18!!  He had such a great wake up call!  I have the greatest friends, I had told them a couple of months ago that Eric wanted to go to Washington DC with his school next year.  So I told Eric that if he came up with 1/3 of the money, I would pay the rest...  Well this morning, the most generous friends came and handed him an envelope, short story... he is going to Washington DC.  This is not to mention the amazing gifts from Uncle Tim, Tonya, Todd's parents and Grandma Gloria.  He is very spoiled and I am very humbled at their generosity. 
I was thinking about how blessed we have been through this journey.  From Celestra having such a strong feeling that something was wrong with Eric's leg and would not let it drop until a xray was done on his leg, which started the process of going to Dr. Weenig thinking that Eric had a broken Fibula.  Then from there having Dr Weenig using his connections to get Eric to the best doctors right away.  The friends and family who have prayed, cried and worried right along with me and Todd have helped to keep our spirits up and taking the next step.  Thank you all so much and we love you!  May we someday repay the generosity.  I believe in my heart that Eric is doing so well and has such an amazing attitude is because of all the support and love shown to him.  It truly does take a tribe to raise a child and I am grateful to be a part of your tribe!  I will post more pictures as I am able to sneak one!  :)  I think he is getting tired of the camera.

We are scheduled to go in for another treatment on Tuesday, but will need to wait to see if his blood counts are good enough.  As of yesterday they are not.  But things change in a few days.  We will not be able to go into Fit well for a fitting of his prosthetic on Tuesday, but so far his leg is feeling pretty good. So we are making progress on the proper fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment