On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Monday, August 29, 2011

More lessons to be learned

We have been gearing up all weekend long to prepare to head to the hospital today.... Got a lot done! :) 

Well.... we got the phone call from James at PMC with Eric's blood counts.  His ANC is too low to come and start Doxirubican.  Everything else looks good, except we still don't know about his heart.   I asked James why his ANC would go down with no treatment... was it a virus?  There are no signs of a virus, but James said that it is common to get to the end of treatment and his body/bone marrow just gets exhausted and has a hard time rebuilding.  Once again I am reminded how difficult this treatment is on these miracles we call bodies.

Having said that I still can not tell you how frustrating it was to hear the news.  I am the type of person who needs to plan ahead of time and these past couple of months have taught me to just go with the flow, because events change minute by minute.  So I thought I was doing really good, but this morning was... frustrating!  Eric was pretty upset also, but what can you do??  Well I went and pulled weeds for 2 hours!  This whole summer (since I have not been home) I have just ignored those really ugly weeds in my back yard.  Sorry Neighbors!  Well as I was pulling away, the thought came to me that things will happen when it is the "right" time, not on my schedule.  So deep breathe and we will learn once again to be patient.  Please keep Eric in your prayers so that we can finish this really bumpy road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment