On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

We are honored

Yesterday as we were leaving the hospital, Eric wanted to go and tell Steven Good Bye, so we knocked on his door and poked our heads in and had the honor of meeting Elder Paul V Johnson, aka Steven's grandpa.  (I hope I am not out of line here...) I had the oppurturnity to tell him that his talk in the last general conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday saints was my favorite, which also gave me and Eric and oppurturnity to talk about it again on the way home...Paul V Johnson General Conference talk 4/2011.  I had heard about Steven shortly after Eric was diagnosed and knew that Steven was in Elder Johnson's family.  So as he spoke in GC I knew he was speaking of Steven (Osteosarcomas world is very small).  The part that is my favorite and I have thought about alot since his talk is

"Our Heavenly Father loves us, and we “know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.”18 Someday when we get to the other side of the veil, we want more than for someone just to tell us, “Well, you’re done.” Instead, we want the Lord to say, “Well done, thou good and faithful servant.”19

I know that Heavenly Father will be very pleased with Eric and the way he has handled this trial in his life. 

I know that Eric wanted to tell Steven Goodbye and to hang in there, because he was going to be stuck in the hospital for a least another day.  How cool is it to have a Grandpa who is able to make time for to "hang out" with Steven while his parents are busy.

Eric came home and went right to bed to sleep.  As I was running around trying to get some things done for the theater, Todd and I ran to Provo to get supplies.  When I made it home, Eric was gone.... he must of been feeling better, because he went to dinner and a party.  Amazing how quickly he feels better.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment