On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The last drip


This was our view at 9:00 last night.  I can't even begin to tell you the many different emotions that were running through me.  Mainly pure joy that as of 10:00 pm on September 27, there will be no more poison pumped into his chest.  But I am not going to lie, the other strong emotion is fear of "is it enough?"  I try not to dwell on that part because I have always felt that once we get through this trial, that he will be able to go on and live a normal, healthy life.  Some day I may write about one of the most profound experiences that has left a very large impression on me....but for now I can only say that Eric is ready to face the world standing tall, with one proud mom behind him.  These kids go through pure hell not only physically and mentally, but the outlook of "normal" has changed.  They have to face and accept things in life that are not "fair".  But life is not fair.  That is why Eric and these other young heroes facing cancer will be changed and made stronger because of it.  The ripple effects of what Eric has to face does effect everyone around him and I have seen so many good things happen because of it.  Like I have said before, "I don't know what Heavenly Father has in store for him, but it will be fun to watch."

What now do you ask?  Well this week he will continue to flush out the methotrexrate out of his system.  Last week the round of metho left him with sores in his stomach, which was pretty miserable to eat.  Eric has been sucking on mentos during treatment, but to put one of those candies in his mouth now makes him very sick to his stomach.  At nine last night he could not take it any more and spit out the candy and said "I am done, I can't suck on one more."  He was given a flu shot last week which has also left him feeling achy so this week and next week will begin the process of just feeling better.  I am thinking that on Saturday at 10am he will be RINGING THE BELL to signify that he has completed all 18 treatments.  Then he will walk out of the doors for the last time as a patient.  I am sure he will come back and say hi.... but no longer as a patient.  

Next Tuesday he will go back to fit well to be re casted for his leg and hopefully get a better fit.  Then life will continue from there!!!  Did I mention that we are done with chemotherapy?????....all 18 of them????? 

1 comment:

  1. I have been keeping up with you all. I'm so excited for Eric, and you! I almost want to make the drive on Saturday to hear that bell ring!!

    ReplyDelete