On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Much to cherish

I am reminded all the time just how fortunate we are. This past week I have heard 2 separate stories of young lives cut short because of this terrible cancer. As I sat in the program for Hyundai Hope on wheels, the doctor spoke about how just less than 50 years ago the survival rate on sarcomas were 0%. It is now up to 70%. I know that I am just as bad as a teenager in thinking that we are invincible, but the reality is that life is always very fragile and thankfully Eric has been placed in the most capable, knowledgeable and healing hands possible. YES we are very blessed and the future is very bright. I always have a prayer of thanks in my heart for those blessings.
Yesterday was a great day, not only because McKell came to visit, but Dr Spraker came to talk to us about Eric's "dismount" from treatments. The feelings of anxiety and uncertainty seem to lift away as we spoke about his LAST treatment next week. We will continue to monitor his blood counts over the following 2 weeks where we will schedule the full round of testing on his heart, ears, chest and bones. If all is clear a surgery will be scheduled to take the port out of his chest.

His port has been a symbol of the harsh reality of cancer. I will never forget when the biopsy on his tumor was done in January. Right before he walked back to the operating room, he said "So if I wake up and see bandages on my chest, I will know that I have cancer." When I was allowed to go back to the recovery room and I was still trying to pull myself together and dry the tears. I was trying to figure out how I was going to tell Eric. But as I stood by his bed side and he started to wake up, Eric lifted the sheets off his chest and looked down and saw the bandages. His head just dropped back on the pillows as a tear trickled down the side of his face. Eric took a deep breath and asked "what now?" I don't think he has ever shed a tear since about cancer. Yes that port has been not only a vehicle to deliver the chemo in his body, but it has been the symbol of the reality Eric has cancer.

The day he has his port removed will be day of celebration, one that we are both looking forward too. Thank you once again for all your prayers and acts of kindness. We have truly been blessed by you, our guardian angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment