On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Preping for the Ringing of the Bell

As soon as Eric found out that he made the count to go home, he asked to have his port "De accessed".  Alisha was our student nurse that was taking care of Eric today, so he told her he wanted her to do it.  You should have seen her face.  She was so nervous.  What are friends for, but to let you practice your nursing skills on, right?

Look at Eric's face, he is trying to sneak a peek at what she is doing.  She did fantastic and the cool thing is, this will be the last time his port will be accessed and this was her first time to de-access a port.  Hopefully within 3 weeks the port will be gone for good. 

Another message from nurse Annie.

When Eric was talking about ripping the bell of the wall, I thought I would just order him a bell as a souvenir.  I had it engraved in August that says "Strength Endures"  "Eric Merkley" September 2011.  Of course I did this when I thought that he would be done September 9th... then came the delay.  All I can say is there is power of writing down a goal, he walked out of PMC September 30!  Aunt Janet made these wonderful cookies for Eric.  When I was talking to her on Tuesday about the cookies, Eric said that he wanted a man without a leg... and a mustache!  This is his special cookie with a peg leg.  When I went to pick up the cookies this afternoon, a couple of servers commented on "Is he okay with this and this is weird".   They could not believe that it was Eric's idea and he has a great attitude about it.  It is what it is! 

Tim came out of his room to see Eric ring the bell.  His big day is tomorrow!  His leg is sporting BYU's logo! 

Todd took a lot of pictures at the hospital of the actual event, so when he makes it home and downloads the pictures I will post them! 
It was a great night and such a relief.  After they sang, the nurses were asking me if I was misty eyed.  I have been misty eyed all week long.  Eric told me last night that I had better not cry.  So I have been taking a lot of deep breathes and just being so excited for him.  He has been feeling so sick this treatment and weak and he was just a trooper to put up with this little celebration.  As soon as we got home, he went right to bed.  It is only uphill from here!  Stay tuned for more news and pictures of the event.  Did I say we are home?  I have all the bags unpacked completely for the first time in 8 full months.    I think I am dreaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment