On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Happy New Year

Our family would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year!!  As I have read the other cancer mom's blogs, where they are grateful for the 2011 to be over, all I can say is AMEN!!  As I was walking the other morning, I was cheering the fact that 2011 is over and a friend said that it was also a great year.  As I thought I said "Yea, Macklyn is here."  And then she reminded me that Eric is Cancer free.  I was very humbled at the fact that I was overlooking that ONE big Celebration.  We have been very blessed this past year, I just hope that we learned from it and we won't have to revisit that nightmare.

At the beginning of this cancer process, Eric wanted to postpone his first Chemo treatment because he had a hot date to the Jazz game... he even had lower bowl tickets!  When the pain became so severe that he could not wait a few more days and was begging to begin chemo, he promised Rachel that he would make it up to her... Last Friday he did just that and had a great time!  So yes life is moving right along.

Right after all the fireworks on Saturday night, I sent Eric a text saying "Happy New year!  Goodbye 2011!"  Well apparently he was very busy at the dance he was at, but gave me a high five first thing Sunday morning!  What a journey, but we are all looking forward to a great new year.

Oh other news.... Eric has started the process on working on his Missionary papers.  He will turn 19 on July 1.  We have been told all along that he will have to wait until he has 1 year of clean health before he can turn in his papers.  Eric came home so so so excited Christmas morning that there is a really good chance that he can still go on his mission when he turns 19.  He was excited, I wanted to cry.  I thought I would have a few more months with him at home.  He told Todd his news and Todd shared his enthusiasm....  Eric said "I knew I could count on you to be excited with me!" :)  So I guess as time goes, we will find out if he will be able to go out this summer!  No matter what happens, it is what it is!  He will make an amazing missionary.

1 comment:

  1. So awesome to hear that Eric will get to serve. I have often wondered about that with Tim and now know that Tim will have the opportunity. Best of luck to him and you as the day gets closer. I'm curious to know the process considering the cancer and prosethesis!

    ReplyDelete