On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Basketball Banquet & Mr Sky Hawk

This is the cake... yes the cake Eric entered into the Mr Sky hawk contest.

Okay, so he had a little bit... I mean a lot help.

This week Eric has been preparing and competing in the Mr Sky hawk competition.  I will post more about it tomorrow after the final showdown tonight.  It is a fund raiser for Primary Children's hospital... near and dear to our hearts. 
We had taken the idea of the "popcorn cake" from Aunt Janet who had made the most amazing cupcakes.  So when Eric said that he needed to come up with a cake, I suggested we super sized the cupcake idea.  It turned out pretty good.  And I heard that it was sold, so that is good!
Another part of the competition is the "Sexy leg" competition.  Before the actual competition it was announced by another contestant that "You can't vote for Eric just because he has only one leg!"  When I heard about this I laughed!  Then I learned that Eric "Bedazzled" his leg!  Of course the winner will be revealed tonight! 
For his talent he is doing a dance... I am worried!

Last night was the Basketball teams banquet.  It turned out really nice. Coach DeGraffenried spoke and had the seniors come up.  He said some really nice things about Eric, which touched my heart.  What he does not totally understand was that last year when he came to give Eric his "Letter" for the season, he told Eric that he wanted him back on the court this year.  I saw a change in Eric in his outlook and attitude, that I will be grateful for.  It gave Eric something to look forward to. 
When this season was ready to begin Coach had asked Eric what his plans were for the season and Eric told him that if he could not be competitive on the court, then he did not want to be there.  Coach asked him "Even if it means that you will not letter?"  (Eric would be the first 4 year Letterman in basketball for Salem hills high).  Eric told him "even if it means I don't letter."  I was confused about this and asked what he meant, and he said that he did not want to be a "charity case" on the court.  If he could not hold his own, then he did not want to be on the court.
Coach than asked him to help him coach this year and we will see what happens as the season goes.  He left the door open for Eric to return to the court.   Even though Eric did not make it back on the court, he enjoyed coaching with these men.  He enjoyed being a part of the Sky hawk basketball team.
Eric was given a letter certificate last night for his contribution to the team, which was very touching.  I can not express the deep gratitude for the many people who played such an uplifting role in this journey.  This was not just Eric's journey, but a communities journey.  It has changed people in so many ways.  Before this began, I hate to admit, but I believed that everyone was so wrapped up in their own lives and did not see all the hurt and happiness just 2 feet in front of them... me included!  This journey has changed my view on this.  There are so many people with huge hearts that would do anything to help.  Even if it was just a hug and words of encouragement.  This is why I have said many times that I have been so grateful for you "Our Tribe" for helping me raise Eric.

No comments:

Post a Comment