On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Learning

I received my first  email from Eric today!!  WOHOO!!  His companion is from Idaho Falls.  He said that he is completely opposite of him, but is getting along fine with him. 

The interesting thing he learned was, not only is he learning Laotian, he will also be learning Thai.  Apparently there is not a Book of Mormon translation between English and Lao.  So in order to teach the Lao people, they must be able to translate the BOM for them into Lao from Thai.  ... interesting.
He also learned that there are only 6 missionaries that speak Lao in the whole world.  4 in the MTC.  When the 4 go out into the mission field, 4 will be coming home.  This surprised me.  I expected more Lao speaking missionaries out there. 

It is probably a good thing they did not tell him he would be learning 2 languages, I am sure that could be overwhelming.  He said that he is definitely praying for the gift of tongues.  :)

It sounds like all is well and he is adjusting.  He made it through the hardest part of the MTC, the first 4 days.

As for me, it feels weird in this house.  Less laundry, what to cook... if I cook, and the house seems so much more quieter.  I think the hardest part is, I am use to having a quiet home with Eric gone with friends all the time and Todd working a lot, but knowing that Eric will not be home later is what is hard to get use to.  But I am trying to adjust.  So all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment