On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Missionary


 Where to start?? Well I knew that the time would come and come too quickly, but I have cherished the opportunity to help Eric get ready. Monday was a day full of running. We stopped by Mr Mack for more socks, sewing kit, alarm clock, laundry bag etc. Our next stop was to the doctor’s office for the missing immunization shot, the chance for his records to get updated with all the shots he has recently received and for a follow up blood draw.

When we were in PCMC the blood drawn on that day showed the levels of creatinine was elevated. So as a precaution Dr Spraker wanted to retest his blood. When I heard this my panic mode set in and the worry started. I knew that Methotrexate is extremely hard on your kidneys, so my radar has always been a little sensitive. As I was purging all my worry on my friend on our morning walk, she said that I needed to remember that the adversary does not want Eric to serve this mission and if he cannot sway Eric to stay home then he would work on me. Boy has he been working on me.

So when the Stake Presidency came to set Eric apart as a full time missionary, I cannot express the gratitude I had for the blessings that were given, to our home and family but also to Eric.



As Eric sat down in the chair and the men circled around him, there was a gap right in front of Eric, where I had a clear picture of him as they placed their hands on his head and then the gap was closed. I wish I had a picture of that, because it was powerful. It was also very comforting.



President Trevort had blessed that Eric would be able to serve his mission and that the prior health issues would not interfere in any way. He mentioned this 2 different times in 2 different ways. He went on to say the most comforting things a mom could hear. Unless you have had an opportunity to be a part of a young man getting set apart as a full time missionary, you cannot comprehend the power of not only the priesthood, but of the Heavenly feelings that are present.  I felt this when Daryl was set apart and I also felt it Tuesday night.  There is this peace that comes in your home that is amazingly beautiful.



After everyone left we had dinner and it was relaxing. Eric had pretty much packed his room up, but had not put anything in his suitcases. President Trevort told Eric to get some sleep that night, and we all chuckled, I mean who can sleep? Wise Counsel though. So as Eric was winding down and getting ready for bed, we had a few minutes to visit, just the two of us. When a knock came at the door and another friend wanted to say goodbye.



Sunday, when Eric was saying goodbye to Tonya, there were a lot of tears and he said he did not expect it to be that hard, and as he said goodbye to a lot of his friends, there have been a lot of tears. I was worried that if I am such a big baby all week long, how was I going to make it through Wednesday afternoon?

Wednesday morning.... Eric wanted Swedish Pancakes and as I have stated already, I hate making Swedish pancakes! But it was fun to enjoy breakfast with the family. I think everything started to hit Eric, because he did not eat a whole lot.  I have heard how he has eaten a large stack of Swedish Pancakes at the Simonsen’s home on several occasions.  He said that he lost his appetite this morning, or maybe I just can't make Swedish pancakes like mama Simonsen.  :) 




Macklyn was helping Eric pack..
 I mentioned that he would probably need to iron his shirts a little when he makes it to the MTC and Daryl started laughing... I guess that is not high on their priority list.


 Eric had planned on destroying his phone, so he had fun with this.











Daryl and Eric were inspecting the damage and wondering if it would still work, so to ensure that it would not, he did it again.



We had a family prayer and Daryl and McKell said their goodbyes. We were both pretty antsy, so we decided to leave a few minutes early and run a few errands for the theater. We also had to stop by Walmart to pick up a few bottles of Mio for the MTC.



We laughed when we pulled into the parking lot just below the Provo temple, it was definitely a staging area for Missionaries to say goodbye. So we were no different.










I have LOVED the many times we have laughed. He has asked several times "Mom, who are you going to take your weirdness out on when I am gone?" Then he would look at Todd... poor Todd.



I told him as we were driving away from the house that I was going to try to stay strong and keep it together. There have already been too many tears and this is truly a good thing he is doing. ... I am saying this as tears were coursing down my cheeks. Not off to a good start.

I love this kid! After I watched him walk away, I got into the car and could not stop myself. I cried.


No comments:

Post a Comment