On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving


Our family wishes your family a very Happy Thanksgiving!! There is so much to be grateful for to even begin to list. Most importantly we have been so grateful for a year of continued strengthening of our not only our physical bodies, but also our family ties and faith.  This was our first Thanksgiving with Eric in the mission field and we surely missed him.  Daryl and Eric usually keeps everyone entertained with their bantering and without Eric, Daryl was like a lost ship.  Good thing we had Macklyn to entertain us. 

I finally got my email for the week yesterday and here are a few stories that Eric shared with me…

Don’t worry I am not starving!  Thanksgiving should be interesting with all of the Lao people, as of right now I have to go to 4 thanksgivings today in a 7 hour period!  :(  They are all Lao so it’s more like 10 thanksgivings!  I don’t know how I am going to do it but it should be interesting.. . . . . pray for me!
A funny story:    Lao people are very up front.  I showed my leg to a Lao lady for the first time (she is 74) and the first thing that she did was grab onto it pulling on it in all different directions!   haha The thing was my leg was still attached to me!!   But that’s how Lao people are, haha, man they are awesome.

Eric and his companion are starting to help the Lao members work on their family histories, but where there are very little records, this task could become challenging.  The interesting thing is, this will be a HUGE learning experience for Eric, because he has not been exposed to any family history work in our home.  I know I am slacking, but he will see firsthand the many different blessing that will come from connecting the families together with these people he has grown to love.  I am pretty excited for him, then maybe he can show me when he gets home.  J

The best part of his email was that he said that as he sat down with a family on Wednesday night for their Thanksgiving dinner (like our family here in Elk Ridge Utah), this is what he said:

Don’t worry as you were having Thanksgiving, I was too.  We were at thanksgiving with a family last night on Wednesday night and it was good and it felt like home, but not quite the same thing for sure, I will never take family gatherings for granted again, but I am not home sick sorry :).

I am so glad he is not home sick, I know he is busy and doing well.  That is all I can ask for.
Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment