On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

So Happy


I am asked all the time how Eric is doing… All I can say is that he is HAPPY!  All his letters and emails are filled with excitment and love for the people: which makes me so happy for him. 

His companion is out recovering from surgery on his shoulder, which means Eric needed to gain another companion until he comes back.  It sounds like within 1 week, he was partnered with one of the missionaries who entered the MTC with Eric and Eric was also put into a leadership position.  I think he is feeling a little overwhelmed.   I had to chuckle at his response…

“I am now responsible for all of south Sac and in leading the area since Elder Haws is new, holding up the Lao program and being the mediator for the Lao people in the church adds a lot of stress into the work. I have to say though that the lord has really blessed me with a lot of help and success this week, this past week was the most successful week that we have had so far in the transfer :) high five to me and the lord!”

Needless to say he was so busy he did not have time to write much more. 

Eric received word that Quinn received his mission call to Peru.  There is a missionary from Peru that Eric has gotten to know, so he had this Elder write Quinn and tell him about his country.  Eric said that Quinn will get to play lots of Soccer and baptize lots of people.  What more could Quinn ask for right?

Eric wrote Todd a letter which made me laugh  and it also touched my heart.  When Todd and I were married, Eric was 12 years at the time… Eric put this poster on his door

 
 
 This was a statement!  One of the things he told Todd in his letter was that he has learned a lot from him, being that he (Todd) was “The man of the house”.  Then went on to say “I will never say that again, Enjoy it!”
As he changes, grows up and learn so much from his mission, I find myself asking “Who is this child?”  I remember asking that when Daryl was on his mission, they grow up so much that it makes a mom proud.

1 comment: