On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Monday, February 4, 2013

The nub buddy


I received a letter from Eric last week and wanted to share a story he wrote about:

We were on our way to the church and I saw that this guy’s car broke down in the church parking lot.  I felt prompted to go talk to him.  So as I walked up to him I noticed something special about him.  He was missing his right leg.  I jumped on the opportunity to talk “Nub” with him.  As I talked with him and we became friends,  I shared a small message with him and asked I could come by and share more.  He said he would love to talk with me more and gave me his phone number and address.  We have plans to go see him this week!  Miracle?  I think yes!

I did ask Eric how this guy lost his leg, and he was caught in a drive by shooting.

In his email this week, he told how the church has touched a ladies life with 4 kids and bore his testimony about his love for the atonement of Jesus Christ.  It was truly deep.  This mission has transformed Eric in ways that I don’t think he even realizes.

I have been working on a project and reading through some of the “Eric Stories” and was reflecting on how far he has come from 2 years ago.  We were both so scared and to be able to stand back and look at the many miracles that have taken place in his life and mine, is truly humbling.  We were changed and Eric was being prepared for an amazing work.  Now to see the “rest of the story” come to life for him as he is on his mission is very humbling for a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment