On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Very Determined


Pictures tell a thousand words.


In my letter I received on Saturday, Eric told a story that went like this:
The first transfer with Mienh is now under my belt, I felt okay where I am at(he had a goal to be able to speak and understand at least 50% of Mienh before his first transfer).  I was out on an Exchange with an English Elder and we came across a Mienh home and I thought “what the heck I will try it out.”  A man answered the door and I started to speak broken Mienh to him.  He stopped me and laughed.  He mocked me and told me that I will never learn Mienh.

Me being the person I am wrote down his address and now his address is up on the wall, right next to my desk where I can see it every day.   One day he will understand the power of God.  I am really looking forward to that day.
Eric is doing well.  He studies Laotian and Mienh for about 5 hours a day, which gives me a headache just to think about it.  He loves the people and loves the work.  He has already said that he is going to extend his mission.  After we were able to speak to him on Christmas, Todd said that the big challenge will be to get Eric home at the end of 2 years.  Eric is already hinting that will be the case.  I WILL drag him home if needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment