On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Monday, October 8, 2012

First Week in Sacramento


I received a great email, not to mention that it was a very long email with lots of stories… my favorite!

Eric has not changed one little bit and has found ways to amuse himself, so here is the story in his words…

We met and had dinner with President Lewis and his wife.  They are really loving and kind people.  The cool thing is when I leave to come home they will leave too, so I get them my whole mission.  So funny story, as we were going home I told the “AP’s” that I had one leg and they asked me if the elders that picked us up at the airport knew about my one leg.   I told them no.  We then spend about 30 minutes coming up with a wonder plan to break it to them!   Wahahaha It went a little like this.  One of the elders had some old pants that didn't fit him anymore so what we did was,  we ripped off the left pant leg and then proceeded to put catsup and pizza sauce all over my leg. :) The AP’s then continued to carry my lifeless body into the house where they lived.  The two elders who had picked me up from the airport starting to scream so loud!!!!   One ran out of the house yelling for help and the other start to go running for ice and to call 911.  Of course before they got to the phone I stopped my award winning performance and came back to life :)   It was a Christmas miracle! After that we went to bed because we had a full day ahead of us.

Oh Man they are in for an eventful 2 years!  He is all settled and have already given blessings and taught lessons.  A daughter from a Lao family has been offered to him in marriage…. OH NO! 

He also found out that all the Lao missionaries get new names.  So he was taken to a very elderly Lao lady and her name she came up for Eric is Somwang, which means “Perfect Hope”.  He said that it is safe to say that he has the coolest Lao name.  I think that it is very fitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment