On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

New Leg!


My plans to go to Fit Well then onto PMC for chemo did not work out this week.  At first I was frustrated because I did not want to drive to SL today and then again tomorrow.  But it turned out to be a good thing we spent all day at Fit Well.  They made several adjustments and he is walking again!!!

Eric holding his new leg for the first time

Scott was explaining how the knee worked


Time to try it on!


First Steps
I sent a text picture to a few people and Aunt Jeni's reply was "Yea!! Look at that!  They are about the same size too!  Chicken legs unite!" :)  Eric had to admit that was clever!

Sorry, when I filmed this I thought I would be able to turn it... I don't know how to turn a video... I will keep working on it!  but this is Eric taking his first steps!

Scott made several different adjustments to the leg to make it more comfortable.  At 3:00 he showed Eric how to walk up ramps and stairs and said he could take the leg and get use to it.  Scott was very pleased with how quickly Eric was adapting.  He said that it is not uncommon for people to take a month to achieve what Eric has in a few hours.  But when you have one determined teenager, mountains can be moved. 

Tomorrow we will take off for PMC for the next round of Methotrexate.  I can guarantee that Eric will be sucking on Ice again!  Because there were NO sores in his mouth last week.

1 comment:

  1. Eric is amazing!! I to wear his bracelet and think of him often and how positive he is through all this. I check his blog a lot and you have done such a great job (mom).
    So glad he has his new leg and walking again. In no time he will be back on the court with his amazing abilities.
    This is Amber by the way...Clint's Favorite sister.

    ReplyDelete