Yesterday and today we have discussed a plan to prepare Eric for Surgery. Because his weight is too low, we have consulted between the doctors and decided that IV nutrition is necessary. They claim that it is usually the last ditch effort, but considering we need to put weight on Eric as soon as possible, that we have no choice.
Because the IV nutrition is not as easy as hooking him up and sending him on his way, we will be in the hospital until Saturday morning. They can not start the nutrition until his metho has cleared from his system, so tomorrow morning they will, hopefully, be in a position to start the nutrition. Then they will watch him closely and monitor his electrolytes. Once we have it all under control, he will be free to go home. He will still be able to eat and encouraged to eat a lot, with the help of my friend the appetite stimulant. The Nurse practitioner said that once we get his weight up and the nutrition in him, he will start to feel so much better. But this also means that he will be hooked up to the IV and receiving these nutrients until surgery or possibly after. It also means that I get to learn more about how to care for this.... :)