On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, April 8, 2011

We made it home

Yesterday morning when they told me that Eric's Methetrexate level was .14, I was a little surprised.  It has never been that low before at this point.  So I asked if they would retest him a little later.  I didn't even want to get my hopes up that it will be .10 or lower so I didn't even pack things up.  Well at 4:30 the results were in and it was .10!!  Eric was feeling pretty good and was wanting to go home (which is a great sign) because he wanted to sleep all night long and not be interrupted.  Which I don't blame him.  So by 5:00 we were on the road heading home. 
Wednesday night the nurse was in his room and he starting telling her "Eric" stories and he had her laughing pretty hard.  After about 45 minutes she interrupted him and said that she needed to check on another patient and to hold that thought because she wanted to hear more....So after a few minutes she was back wanting to hear more.  I love those "Eric stories".
Yesterday morning, he was awake and wanting to eat, thanks to the appetite stimulant (my new friend :) ).  So it was a great day all together, not to mention that I got to come home to my amazing husband!  So this weekend, we are just hanging out.  I am still giving him fluids at night, just in case, and it was suggested that I get him protein bars to eat in between meals.  He hates the drinks like Boost, Ensure or Carnation,  But these protein bars will do the same thing, so I will be loading up on those.  I can't believe I didn't think about that earlier.  I would buy him a big bag of those bars during basketball so he could have them before practice... What a great alternative.  I am going to try to get some pictures posted of Eric this weekend, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment