On January 27, 2011 Eric Merkley was diagnosed with osteosarcoma. An aggressive cancer that we hope and the doctors to this point seem confident that is contained to one spot on his leg. Prognosis is good. Treatments and recovery will be long and painful.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Right on Schedule

This round has been going so much better than last months rounds of Chemo. He has been awake and joking with me and the nurses. He has been eating and yesterday we went for a walk on the patio. We ran into Dr Spraker in the hall and she is funny and always comments on how tall he is. We did get rained on so we just sat in the lobby and watched people walk by.

Dr Randal came by this morning and was giving Eric a hard time about not being here when he came by yesterday. But he was happy that he was getting up and moving around. Dr Price has now moved to Kentucky. We will miss hiim. He was a lot of fun to visit with.

Yesterday post was not intended to be all about me. I reread it and was worried about not putting enough about Eric and his recovery. But it was something that was on my mind and heart yesterday as I was driving back to the hospital the night before and felt like I needed to share. But Eric is one of my heroes. He still just has an amazing attitude. Shortly after he got his new leg I asked him (Sorry if I have already posted this story) if he ever looks down and feels bad that his leg is no longer there, because I think that at some time he should grieve for his leg. His answer was no..... Do you? I told him that I would be lying if I said that I have not looked down and saw that space and my heart would ache a little. That is why it was such a huge day to have him back on both legs. We still joke with him about his "new lifestyle". I remember Ty's mom saying that a strange comment she would make to Ty was "are you going to put your leg on today?" Well I have asked that question before. We told Dr Randal that Eric has been golfing a couple of times, on the basketball court and even bowling. He said that if we would have "Saved" his leg, he would not be doing any of those. We have never regretted the decision on the surgery.

Eric was given a list of UFC fights from Make a wish to choose from, since that is what he wants his wish to be. Which means we may need to change our "End of treatment" open house. We should find out in a couple of days if the 24th is going to stick. He is pretty excited about the fights though. Daryl will be going with him (we asked for permission to allow Daryl to go and enjoy the fights with him). It will be a fun trip for the boys! I think Todd and I may run away somewhere else... :). It does appear that we will probably be going home tomorrow morning or evening. Than back again on Tuesday. BUT we only have 4 more!!!!!

I can never say enough how much we appreciate your love and support! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment